July 7, 2022
Greetings FFICM Prayer Partners!
This week we read from John 17:1-5. Rest in the relationship you have in Jesus through God, but also know that there is work that He has given us to accomplish. This time of prayer that we have together each week acknowledges the burden that God has placed on our hearts for His Kingdom.
Highlights from this week’s update:
- Praise for God’s protection and for the success of the Cameroon training. Read a detailed report below.
- Pray for a whole village in Taraba State, Nigeria who have all decided to turn from Islam to follow Jesus. They are asking for an FFICM male and female trainer who can come and train them for 3 months on how to follow Jesus.
- Continue to pray for the staff situation in Ethiopia. Pray for peace, understanding, and resolution.
Nigeria Program Updates
- Continue to pray for the Nigeria team to find a good Operations Manager/Office Manager. Pray that God would show them the way forward. Pray for unity of mind and planning with the Nigerian board of trustees and staff as they make this decision.
- Pray: Inflation continues to be very bad in Nigeria. The already high prices keep doubling. This is making it difficult for people to buy food. Farmers are unable to buy fertilizer because the fertilizer they use is a petrochemical product, and the price has tripled. It is time to plant this year’s crops but seed and fertilizer is so expensive, many people can’t afford to plant now, and without crops there will be food scarcity later. Pray especially for the many poor pastors and congregations that are being severely tested. Many people have decided not to farm this year. Please pray for them and that they will be able to provide food for their families.
- Pray for tension as the upcoming election begins to rise up. Both the Muslims and the Christians are mobilizing their people. There are many concerns and Nigeria needs us to pray for the country.
- Pray for Reverend Michelia from Maiduguri. He is conducting a training this week.
- Pray for preparation for the MBB conference in October. Pray for God’s guidance and wisdom on how this conference can come together.
- Praise/Pray: Peter has made good progress on his USA visa application for coming to the US for his classes for his doctoral degree this Fall. Now he just needs to schedule his interview with the US Embassy. Pray that his application will be looked on favorably. We are hoping he will be able to also share with you all in-person at our Fall Fundraiser.
- Pray: There is a problem of kidnappers in the war areas of Nigeria. Recently a Priest of the Catholic church was kidnapped. He is back, but we need prayer for our cities and rural areas. There is no peace of mind, there is fear and no peace.
- Pray for the work we are doing. Yesterday there was a prayer request from the converts that they need pastors or people to disciple them. We are praying that God will send men to do the work, people who are courageous and want to help others.
- Pray for the staff as they spend this week together on a staff retreat. Pray for the trustees, and others that have been invited to speak with our Nigerian staff. Pray for the conversations that will be brought up, for discussions, and for understanding from each member of the team.
- Pray for a local reverend from Jos who was kidnapped this week.
- Pray for the MBB trainers training in Jos this month. There will be many traveling from distant places for this training.
- Pray for Priscilla as she gave her letter of resignation yesterday. She wants to focus on the health of her husband as well as her studies with Multnomah University. Pray for Priscilla as she moves on and pray for our staff as they seek the right person to replace Priscilla.
- Pray for a whole village in Taraba State, Nigeria who have all decided to turn from Islam to follow Jesus. They are asking for an FFICM male and female trainer who can come and train them for 3 months how to follow Jesus.
Ongoing Muslim Outreach Ministry
- Pray: TV and Radio Ministry — We continue to broadcast the TV and radio episodes that have been recorded to share about what it means to have a personal relationship with Jesus, and are specifically made for people coming to Christ from a Muslim background. Continue to pray for the impact of these recordings, and for the FFICM staff as they work to follow-up those who are coming to Christ. The FFICM-Nigeria team is meeting in-person with these converts to support them in their new faith.
Prayer for the Nigeria Ministry Team
- Peter Wash, National Director Nigeria
- Pray: Peter is working with doctors about recent stomach issues. They are running tests and working on his diet. He is feeling better although he has been tired. Please pray for his overall health.
- Pray for his wife’s egg business. Pray that this new business will be able to help support their family. They are waiting to get a light to be able to give the chickens warmth. They cannot get the chickens until they fix the light because it is rainy season. They will probably need to wait until August.
- Pray for his daughters who are away, one in University and one in Gombe, about 300 km away, pray that God will keep them safe as they are away.
- Samuel Chungwom, Trainer
- Praise/Pray: After a long period of drought, rain has begun. This is good for the gardens. But this means that people are going out to their gardens and criminals know this and are looking for isolated people in their gardens to attack and rob. Pray for safety.
- Pray/Praise: Sam’s parents’ health is much better, but when it is rainy, they often get sick. His dad has been diagnosed with bone marrow cancer.
- Praise: Sam’s youngest son is 4 months old now and is healthy, but has had some ongoing health issues on and off.
- Pray for his wife traveled to her village and will be coming back this week. Pray for safety while she is there and as she returns.
- Prisca Barth, Trainer
- Pray for her visa application to the US for her Multnomah University class this Fall.
- Pray: her husband, Bartholemew, has returned from the hospital. He is able to stand but not able to walk. Pray for complete healing and that he will be able to walk again.
- Zainab, part-time Trainer
- Praise God that she is “doing fine by the grace of God.” Please pray for the women she is leading and for the fellowship.
- Yusuf, former Trainer
- Continue to pray for Yusuf. He is telling others how grateful he is to FFICM who were more concerned about Yusuf and his salvation than ourselves. He testifies of how FFICM follows and lives out what the Bible teaches, using the example of leaving the 99 to find the 1.
- Pray as he tries to get his family moved and settled in Abuja, Nigeria.
- Pray: He had an electrical issue with his car this week and it caught fire. He was able to get the fire out, but is still working on getting the car repaired.
- Praise/and prayer request regarding vehicle purchase: A vehicle has been found! It is brand new and is within our budget, and is available right away! The only thing we are waiting for now is the transfer of funds. The first time we tried to make the wire transfer, the funds got hung up for almost 2 months. We are looking for alternate ways to get the funds transferred.
- Praise: Eskinder’s US visa was approved. Pray for wisdom as he prepares for travel to the US this Fall both to visit the FFICM office and attend his Multnomah doctoral class.
- Praise: Many people keep coming into Eskinder’s office asking for many copies of our materials. They continue to use what they learned and are doing new believer follow-up with many and are also training others to use the materials.
- Praise & Pray for wisdom: There are many requests for more training, resources, and additional conferences. We generally train only 100 at a time, and there are many more church pastors and leaders who want to be trained.
- Pray/praise for our trainees who are continuing to train others! Especially the women!
- Pray for Ethiopia as there is still a lot of unrest in the northern part of the country. It is no longer only with the Tigray but now also with Oromia and the government.
- Pray for the Hosanna area. The regional church asked for training. They are also asking for the True Gospel Conference next year. Many people in Hosanna are going astray and following different kinds of things, so they are calling and requesting the big conference and training for pastors, evangelists, and church members.
- Continue to pray for an ongoing difficult staff situation in Ethiopia that Eskinder is working with. Pray for wisdom.
- Pray for a training for MBBs in Butajira, Ethiopia in July. They are currently securing the dates.
- Pray for those who are in trainings, we have lots of trainings going on right now, pray for the trainers and for the people being trained.
- Pray for Eskinder’s son who is home working on a report. Pray for the family as they adjust to living all together.
- Pray: Nekemte and Dembe Dola are under attack. 300 Amhara people attacked
- Pray for a training in Bali next week. 32 people will be trained by our trainees
- Praise: 7 areas are being trained on a weekly basis 1205 people are being trained
Pray/Praise from Florence:
Beloved in the Lord Jesus Christ. With gratitude we write to express our sincere thanks to you all who prayed for our Team as we traveled to the Far North Region of Cameroon for the training of the Evangelists of the Body of Christ in Maga.
We had challenges that almost stop us from going but that God we braved ourselves and went.
The journey itself was not easy. A journey of 19hours by road, took us 32 hrs to reach Maroua.
Leaving Maroua to Maga was another experience again. A journey for less than 2 hours, took us till the following day which was Monday the 27th/6/22. In all this we arrived safely.
We met some situations on ground that were also very discouraging too,but we refused to be discouraged.
The training started same day we arrived and on the third day, we decided to go out ourselves for evangelism. Door to door with the FFICM Bible tracks. The gospel was shared with 35 pers.and 5 youth accept and believed in Christ.
Maga is a very tough place. Islam is dominate.
We pray God to equip us so we can go back again. This time for outreach before training. And we pray someone from the Muslim background could come with us.
Thanks a lot. May the Lord continue to supply all that we need to carry the gospel to the ends of the end. By His grace we will keep preaching till all will hear. Shalom and Maranatha.
Strategic Development and ongoing ministry
- Pray: Pray for wisdom as FFICM continues to look for a new part-time bookkeeper in the US.
- Praise/Pray: Church status — FFICM has applied for church status here in the US. The was submitted months ago! Pray for wisdom for the IRS as they consider our application. Most large mission organizations have applied for and been granted church status in the US. This would allow us to be able to have all of our staff receive the ministerial housing allowance and would have other tax and financial benefits for us as an organization. We are still waiting for a response from the IRS. Keep praying about this…
- Pray: International Director of Prayer — We are praying that God will provide a volunteer International Director of Prayer for FFICM. We would love to have someone to take charge and develop this crucial area of ministry even more. Pray that God would raise the right person up for the job.
- Praise for the grant request “Letter of Inquiry” that Jerel sent out recently for the Fall women’s trainer training in Ethiopia. Pray for a few other grant requests that he is working on preparing to submit in the next few months.
- Pray we are working to get our financial compilation finished so we can finish our 2021 990.
- Pray for Rich and Jerel as they continue to meet with many FFICM partners to share one-on-one with people about the amazing things that we saw God do in the recent trip to Africa and celebrate together about the goodness of God.
- Pray for the upcoming trip to the East Coast this August 5-17, and for the opportunity to share the ministry with conferences and congregations around the area. August 7 there will be an evening service where we have the opportunity to meet with many churches at one time and in one place.
- Pray for the steering team committees for the golf tournament and for the east coast tour.
- Continue to pray for our financial situation at FFICM as we spend time developing it as well as working on long-term structures that will help us with finances and accountability. We praise God for several recent large donations, but we continue to look for God’s provision to enable FFICM to be able to continue to grow and expand.
- Pray for our team as we are writing new materials for the US audience. Pray that God will give us wisdom and insight into what we can do to help new believers in the US and how we can adapt our materials for this specific group. Pray for the video series that we are working on to accompany these teachings.
- Pray for doors to open to be able to share our ministry with individuals and churches.
- Praise for the results of the 2 for 22 campaign
- Pray/Praise: Our organization is growing, and we need prayers as we listen to where God is leading us and calling us. Pray for us as we experience growing pains. It is an exciting time, but we need to be covered in prayer as we move forward.
- Carly Powne, US Based International Trainer — www.fficm.org/carly-powne
- Continue to pray for Carly to be at 100% monthly support — We pray that God will continue to bring a full team of prayer and financial partners for Carly so she can focus fully on her role as an International Trainer with FFICM. Praise God for those who have already signed up to be part of her prayer and financial support team. Praise God she is currently at 70% of her needed monthly support. Once she gets up to full support she can increase the number of trainings she is involved with.
- Pray for Lane, her 3-year-old cousin who is like a nephew to her. Lane was recently diagnosed with Leukemia and is struggling daily to take his medication. Please pray for Lane as he is an active boy, and a lot has changed in his life in a short time. Please pray for his family as well: Mom, Dad, and 3 sisters.
- Pray for her upcoming trip to visit potential partners and churches as she makes her way back to Texas.
- Pray: After an extremely high water bill, there is a fear of a leak in her home. She had the house checked out and there was no leak. Pray for the conversation with San Antonio Water Systems that they will see the mistake and forgive the bill. The bill was 12x the normal amount and the house is currently empty.
- Jerel Skeith, Director of Strategic Relationships
- Praise: Jerel and his wife recently bought a new home (still in the Portland area) to better meet the needs of their family. They are settling in and adjusting to new routines, but very grateful for wonderful new neighbors. Pray for wisdom as they transition to the new house and deal with all of the adjustments involved in that move.
- David Moore, Director of Operations
- Pray: Son Andrew (aka: Ben) has been transported this week from juvenile detention in NE Portland to a residential treatment center in SW Washington. Pray that the transition goes well and that he makes good choices and moves toward health. We praise God that insurance has agreed to pay 100% of the cost for at least his first 30 days at this treatment facility. Hopefully they will also agree to pay the second 30 days eventually as well.
- Rich Gardner, President
- Pray for his family situation.
- Pray for the finances of FFICM. We desire to continue to grow and expand and we need wisdom in knowing how to grow our financial base so we can continue to expand the ministry globally.
- Pray for Rich as he continues writing new materials for FFICM.
- Pray: Rich’s daughter, Dara Searcy-Gardner, continues to struggle with debilitating asthma. With the failure of the first medication, she’s needed to try a new medicine; however, the insurance is refusing to pay for it. Pray that the insurance company would change their response so Dara could receive the treatment she needs. She’s unable to work and barely able to function. She is asking us to pray that the medication would conquer the asthma. We pray for complete healing.
- Rick Cordell, Adjunct Trainer from US
- Pray: Rick is continuing his Nigerian ministry work, but remotely from Portland for 3 months. Pray for productive remote work.
- Pray for Rick as he plans to meet face to face with several churches and individuals who have been supporting his ministry. Pray that the time together will be fruitful.
- Deborah Sezov, FFICM US Board member
- Pray for the August 7th (6:00) presentation at Faith OP Church in Elmer, NJ. Pray for logistics as we work to invite churches and plan the evening.
- Pastor Andrew – Pray for healing from non-Hodgkin’s diffuse large B cell lymphoma. Pray that his upcoming low dose chemotherapy would keep his kidneys healthy enough for the CAR T cell therapy he anticipates in 7-9 weeks. Pray for his wife, 4 year old son, and 2 year old twins.
- Pastor Ellis – Praise God that he has been able to preach despite his 5 broken ribs. Pray for complete healing and no additional complications.